I have had a tough month. I had a series of calls that took a toll on me emotionally and decided to take a step back from responding for a while. Conveniently, I also had some vacation previously scheduled for the end of July, so I’ve been doing things to strengthen my own resilience. I had reached the limit of my personal resilience and needed some time to find a new equilibrium.
So far, I’ve:
- Spent some time playing with my daughter (including dancing with her at a long-term care facility to the great joy of some of the residents)
- Smoking a cigar and drinking scotch with my mother
- Enjoying a fantastic drive through one of my favorite areas of the country
- Dismantling a dock with my father (our demolition activities have become an annual tradition)
- Spent some time doing nothing…and not feeling guilty about it
I’ve got another week or so before I go back to work, and have some great experiences coming up! I’ll let you know how it goes!
Take a few minutes to look after yourself, you’ll be more resilient and happier too!